Beginner’s Photography Workshop
How to Take Better Photos of Your Everyday Life
This class is for beginner photographers to learn how to take great photos of their daily lives, especially of the people they love.
Who is this for?
This workshop is aimed at people who have a DSLR (or advanced compact camera) but haven’t gotten around to learning to use it in manual mode (or for more tricky situations). It will introduce you to the basics of photography and help you take better photos of daily life.
Note: This workshop will be limited to 7 participants to allow for student questions and personal attention.
What You’ll Learn
The Technical Side
- Lens selection and what different focal lengths do
- How to get around the limitations of your camera and when you should upgrade
- What the different shooting modes do (auto, manual, aperture priority, etc.)
- RAW vs. jpeg
- How to shoot in full manual mode using your light meter and LCD to determine the best exposure
- What ISO, shutter speed, and aperture actually do and how to use them to affect sharpness, blur, sense of motion, and quality – here’s an example of some of the things you’ll learn: how to get a blurry background in your photos
- How to focus for super sharp images
- How to set white balance and how to interpret and use different colours of light
The Creative Side
- How to read and use natural and indoor light
- Composition rules and how to break them
- Where to position your camera in relation to your subject and light source
- Using details and the environment to tell a story
- How to get great candid photos of people
What to Bring
- A DSLR or compact camera that can shoot in manual mode
- Memory cards and a fully charged battery
- Your camera manual
- Something for taking notes
Where is the Workshop?
The workshop will take place at my home office, which is near Mayfair Shopping Centre in Victoria.
Note: there is a cat at the workshop location, so if you’re allergic and can’t take any medication for it, see the date section above for info on setting up your own workshop.
What is the deadline for signing up?
Registration will be taken on a first-come-first-served basis and payment is due at the time of registration. Most workshops fill up 1-3 weeks prior to the workshop date.
Cost and How to Sign Up
The price is $99 plus GST.